Melon juice made of shredded cantaloupe and simple syrup is a refreshing drink you’ll love year round. Bursting with fresh fruit flavor, it’s a tasty and healthy way to hydrate!
We’re still in the middle Spring, and Central Texas weather is already starting to sizzle up. Our area has a humid sub-tropical climate, so I can just imagine how hot and sticky it will get come Summertime.
Good thing I work from home and don’t need to brave the scorching heat. And good thing cantaloupes are in season and at their sweetest because I can have this refreshing melon juice to keep me cool and hydrated!
How to Make Melon Juice
- Using a sharp knife, cut the melons in half. Scoop off the seeds and pulp with a spoon and place in a bowl. Add about 1 cup of water and press with the back of the spoon to extract the juice. Strain in a fine-mesh sieve; reserve the liquid and discard the seeds.
- Hold the cantaloupe firmly and shred flesh with a fruit/coconut shredder. If you don’t a shredder, peel the cantaloupe and shred using the large holes of a grater or in a food processor.
- In a large combine, combine shredded melon, reserved juice, and cold water.
- Instead of simply stirring in sugar, I suggest taking the extra step of making a simple syrup to evenly sweeten the drink. Sugar doesn’t dissolve well in cold liquids and tends to settle at the bottom. If you prefer a healthier alternative, try honey or agave.
- If serving the drink over ice, you might want to make it a tad sweeter as the ice will melt and dilute the taste over time.
Can You Add Milk to Cantaloupe Juice?
Melons have a chemical compound that interacts and breaks down proteins in milk which results in an acrid taste. If you prefer a creamy drink without the bitter taste, stir in the milk just before serving.
Looking for more delicious ways to hydrate? I have a long list of refreshments you can choose from!